This recipe is based on the one used at the Market Street Restaurant in Venice, CA. I've tweaked it quite a bit over the years. You can find the original on the Food.com website. Comes out great every time!
- Rick Whipple
- In a large frying pan, saute all the vegetables in butter until soft and dry. Remove excess liquid. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients, half and half, ketchup, and the beaten eggs until thoroughly mixed.
- Add and fold in chilled vegetables and bread crumbs.
- Mix in beef and sausage, kneading with your hands for at least 2 minutes.
- Place in 9" x 13" x 2" baking dish, level, and smooth to the edges.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until no longer pink, about 160 degrees if you want to use a meat thermometer.